Saturday, January 7, 2012

For the old Goodbye's that bring new Hello's...

The past year has been so amazing to me: Unimaginably scary – but unfathomably educational. I have grown in so many ways I never thought possible. So as I sit here in my little apartment, I can realize, that even though I still feel like a naïve little child – I am growing in ways that I never thought possible and I’ll be okay.


As the new year starts, I can’t help but look back on the past year and every aching part of it. It definitely was a year of growth and challenge for me, but in weird way – I know everything that happened was just what I needed. I said goodbye to something that was a major part of me. It was painful and extremely difficult, but God has been teaching me so much through it all. I feel it to be ironic, how some people define growth. Some talk about growth in such a funny way, like hurting and pain is the only way that people can actually grow and become stronger, and I know that is definitely true – to an extent. But I am so blessed and thankful to say, that the part that helped me grow a substantial amount this year; was the end – when I actually started enjoying life again. When I let go of all the negative that had been holding me back for more than just this past year. When I started realizing just how much worth I have and how valuable I am as a person and most of all; as a child of Christ. It wasn’t until I knew I deserved better than what I had settled for and that I actually, for once, picked myself up and started reaching for better, that I started growing. When I started healing and finding joy in life – That’s when I started getting stronger. I do know that if I had not gone through what I had gone through in the exact way that I did, that I would not have been able to grow the way I have, and I am so thankful for that – but lets be honest – I am so thankful to be out of it.


Nevertheless, I have learned a lot this year. Typically I am not one to be very fond of goodbyes. Whether it be saying goodbye to a dear friend, a family member or even a chapter in life – I have always hated change. But this past year has made me so thankful for change. Without it, life would just be at a standstill.


So, I have learned that not all goodbyes are bad. Yes, some are very sad, but some allow you to make room for other people in your life who truly will treat you the way that you deserve...and for those goodbyes, I am very thankful!