Wednesday, May 18, 2016

a child or a king?


"For even his own brothers did not believe in him." - John 7:5

You know that song by Joy Williams, "Wish"? If you haven't heard it, it's definitely worth a listen. Her voice is insane - thought I do prefer her Civil Wars days...but who doesn't - anyways - It's not a good song because of her insane vocals...she talks about how she wishes she could have been there when Jesus walked the earth. The imagery the song paints is beautiful. I love how the words make Him so real and paint Him as a human - someone that I can relate to...


For just a moment I wish I could have been there 
to see your first step 
to hear your very first word 
tell me did you ever fall and scrape your knee 
did you know your wounds would one day heal the world 
For just one moment I wish I could have seen you growing, 
learning the ways of a carpenter's son 
just a little boy gazing at the stars 
did you remember creating every one 

For just one moment I wish I could have been there 
when you left your footprints upon the waves 
to walk along beside you never look away 
just your whisper and the wind and sea obey 
to see you feed the people 
to feel the healing in your touch 
I wish I could have been there


It makes Him so real. I've thought about it thousands of times, what it would be like to have seen Christ walk the earth. And initially it fills me with nothing but excitement. Until the thought comes into my head: Would I know it was Him? Would I believed the things He said and the miracles He did? Would I, with all of my heart, worship who He was as the Son of God? 


To hear you pray in the garden alone 
laying down your will with each tear
to see you walk that lonely road 
willing to die for me 


you took my cross and gave your life 


If one of His own disciples was willing to trade Him in for a few pieces of silver...if those who continued to see His miracles day after day and hear His teachings, were so quick to crucify Him...it makes me wonder what role I would have played in it all. 

Would I have been the one to betray Him with a kiss?

Would I be standing with the crowd mocking Him?

Or would I be kneeling at His cross, weeping?

Would I be trying to stop it all out of fear and love for Him?

Or would I have trusted what He said and had faith that He knew what He was doing and I would see Him again?

Would He have been that crazy demon possessed man who hung out at the market?

Or would He have been my Savior?

Who would He have been to me then?

Who is He to me now?

What would it have taken for me to put my trust in this Man? 

What does it take for me to trust Him now?

I'm not sure seeing Him in the flesh would have persuaded me anymore than the miracles I already do witness over and over again...





“Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.” - 1 Timothy 1:15