Sunday, October 21, 2012

Ready to begin again...


Alright I’ll be honest…yes: I totally stole the idea for the title for this blog from Taylor Swifts’ new song “Begin Again” and while I am on the subject…I will willingly add that I am COMPLETELY STOKED for her new cd, Red, to come out Monday…wait…tomorrow!!! I am so tempted to pre-order it…but there is just something about going to Target to pick it up in person…aaaand I am in the mood to buy some cute new leggings anyways...so it will give me more of an excuse to travel a whole hour some time in the next week…any ride-alongs welcome =]

Anywho.

Back on subject.

Beginning again…

Lately…I have needed just that.

I have been stuck.

In a mood that I do not particularly favor.

Or at least I thought I did not favor it.

But lately, I think I have.

Another word for “mood” or “attitude” is “choice”

Like………If I am in a poor mood….I am making the “choice” to be in a poor mood…

And so on and so forth…you get the drift. (I have also been pretty impatient lately…)

And lately…I have been making the choice to…just not be happy…and not heal…

I think when we are hurt…a lot of time we feel as if we have the “right” to be in a certain mood…we have the “right” to act hurt. To be sad. To cry. To completely and utterly obsess over our sorrow…(maybe that is taking it a little too far…oooor is what I am saying an actual realistic view that some have…?)

It is natural to take time to mourn when we have been hurt. In fact – it is completely healthy to do so. But I was not being healthy about it.

And thinking about it today and processing everything…I don’t think I really wanted to heal.

I’ll be honest. I just was angry. Angry at so many different things.

Myself…

People who have hurt me…

God…

I was angry, and I wanted to be.

Sometimes it is easier to just lay down on my bed and throw a fit.

Haha…just thinking about it now…I feel so childish…

But seriously…

Sometimes it is easier to just be angry. Correction…it is ALWAYS easier to be angry.

It is ALWAYS easier to just be bitter and let hurt consume you.

And for a week or two…that’s what I wanted.

Not just bitter about one little thing…a few things.

Why do we get bitter…?

I thought about it…and I thought…and I thought…

And I realized…I was bitter…for the same reason that I am every other horrible emotion…

Pride.

I know I have mentioned this before…the word “pride” is so unattractive to me.

Just thinking about someone who is prideful…………is sooooo irritating…

(Side note: This makes me think about a study we went over in one of my Psychology classes a few years ago. We thought of someone we really did not like and then we wrote down all of the characteristics of that person that made us not like them. When we were finished, we were told to compare those characteristics, to characteristics we see in ourselves…and sure enough…most of the class [including myself] found that we, ourselves, seemed to posses just about all of the “negative” characteristics we stated to dislike in this other person…pretty disturbing isn’t it…?!)

Anywho…So: pride.
I could not dislike the word and its’ negative meaning more.

But I get bitter…because of my pride. Because something has turned out to be different than what I had originally thought or hoped. And different in a negative way.

Basically…things don’t go the way I plan/hope…which leads me to being bitter.

I know this is such a shallow example of all of this…I apologize…

I am not even sure if my point is coming off clearly…

I guess…normally…I am so…optimistic about things and situations…

And for a while there…I just didn’t feel like being the “optimistic” one…I kind of just wanted to have a bad attitude.

I feel like everyone is entitled to their bad days…but I was taking it much further…

I was having a bad few months…

I guess I was thinking about what I wanted my life to look like at the moment…and I was actually looking at it…and I saw that it looked somewhat different than what I wanted…

But then came a voice of reason (a.k.a. one of my dearest childhood friends)…and she basically just gave it to me straight:

I was measuring my life’s success by the wrong standards.

I was prideful and bitter and hurt because I was measuring my life by my own standards of success. (sure there is legitimate hurt in there…but isn’t there always?)

Let’s be honest. My way of “measuring” is WORLDS different than Gods’ way.

And thank goodness.

I’m just going to be honest…my “worldly” view of success is my obtaining my Masters degree…a well paying job (in my field of interest)…a new car…my own home…extra spending money…aaaaand heck, we’ll just throw in an amazing, empathetic man with Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s face, Zack Efron’s body and Buddy the Elf’s personality!

But then when I think about it...I’ve been working towards my Masters…I used to have a very well paying full-time job (granted not in my area of interest…but a fresh-out-of-college student could never complain because of the pay), was on my way to buying a new car, had my own apartment, totally supported myself…paid all of my own bills and still had a little left over cash…

And…I just knew that that was not where God wanted me anymore…

So clearly…my measure of success is not God’s…

Not saying that God will not have all of that for me some day…hopefully what I am saying is not being taken TOO literal…

I just mean…maybe God’s view of success for me at the moment is…

Learning to just TRUST and RELY on Him and make decisions that I would not normally make or that seem crazy to me…

Maybe it is taking this time to appreciate what I do have in life…instead of being my normal self and just always wanting “more” and maybe it is living for what is “right now” instead of what “will be”…

Maybe it is not desiring a best friend for myself so much…but being a best friend to someone else…

Maybe it is forgiving that person…

Mending that broken relationship…

Who knows?!

Maybe I will wake up tomorrow and meet someone completely new and different and go on an insane adventure that I never dreamed possible! (Hey if I can dream up something amazing…imagine what God can/will think up…)

I just don’t want to ever shut myself off to new adventures…and when I am hurt…I definitely am tempted to shut myself off to new things…especially new people…

And I never want to do that…

I never want to become this bitter old miserable person that shuts everyone out just because they are afraid…

I think it just goes back to…don’t let someone who has hurt you, turn you into someone you hate…

It doesn’t only apply to saying a bitter comment in the heat of the moment…

But it applies to our actions too…which eventually…determine who we let ourselves become in life…

So…I have had my moment of weakness…and I know…I’ll have plenty more…

But for right now…I need to grow up.

I have been hurt.

So what…

It’s not about me.

It’s not about what the world says I have the “right” to do because of what has happened to me.

It’s about me being apart of something bigger.

I am not my own. And THANK GOD for that.