Monday, April 20, 2015

a WANTED heart


I am insecure.

There – I said it…

I know I have said it before…but not yet like this:

Sometimes I obsess about everything that I think is “wrong” with me…or not (insert positive word here) enough – mainly my looks.

I think, “well maybe if my hair was longer or thicker – or my nose smaller – or my hips thinner or my thighs more toned or my teeth whiter…maybe THEN I would be beautiful and satisfied with the way I look…”



I can play the “maybes” all day long…



If I’m not careful – I find myself constantly looking at other girls around me and comparing myself to them. Chances are if you are a girl and you are around my age…I’ve compared myself to you – a few times over.

I’m not proud of this. And I am not even sure that I am proud of myself for admitting it – because now I just look…exactly the way I am: Insecure.



It’s tempting to just brush these feelings off…: “I’m a girl…every girl has these insecurities…it’s normal…”


Is it though?

Is it normal to be so envious…

jealous…

covetous…

resentful…

wait…what?

Resentful seems a little much when I say it out loud…

But isn’t that exactly what I am? When I allow myself to obsess over how other girls look and act so much better than me?


Or how about: bitter…angry…



I become more and more unattractive by the second…



I learned something a while ago – I may have mentioned it before…

Every time we are unhappy with our life or ourselves…for the most part, we are telling God how unhappy we are with what HE has determined to be good for us.

Notice I said “for the most part”…of course, to an extent, we have to take ownership for our situations…like when we make decisions that are wrong and get ourselves into places where we knew we shouldn’t even be in in the first place…we only have ourselves to blame for being so unhappy.


But there are some things that we just cannot control.

Like: The way we look (for the most part). That nose that we think is too big. Or our hair that we think is too straight and thin. Or our ears that we think stick out too much. Or those short, pudgy hands. Or our round face…


“God, I hate the way you made me. I am not beautiful and YOU were wrong.”


I get chills just thinking about how much I defy God when all I can think about is how unhappy I am with the way I am created.


Why do I allow the lies of Satan to have such a pull in my life?


When I give in to the things he says about me – I allow my attitude to become completely consumed by disappointment and resentment – then what good am I to God?

God…the ONE who CREATED ME…

The ONE who CREATED ME…JUST the way HE WANTED me to be.

The ONE who LOVES me.

The ONE who LOVES and PURSUES ME…DAILY.

The ONE who sees my TRUE NATURE – MY SIN – everything that MAKES me HIDEOUS.

Everything that SEPARATES ME FROM HIM.

Everything about myself that would cause any human being to become utterly repulsed by me.

He sees it all.

And He wants it all.

He wants to make it into a beautiful story.

The TRUTH is – I AM LOVED and “love covers a multitude of sins.”

I AM IMPORTANT – important enough for God to send His Son to die for me.

Thank GOD He is the ONLY ONE who can see what is really going on inside of me.

I guarantee if you could see as much as He does – you would want nothing to do with me.


And still – why would I put a humans view of me over the One Being whose view should be the ONLY view that matters…


“You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you.” – Song of Solomon 4:7


The same face that I can be so unsatisfied with at times – is the only thing keeping people from seeing the TRUE ugliness about me…

It’s the only thing hiding the qualities that should really turn people away…








“Define yourself as radically loved by God. This is the TRUE self. Every other identity is an illusion.” – John Eagan


“Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.” – 1 Peter 3:3-4