Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Intro + Week 1: Love


I have been feeling extremely insecure lately. I don’t know what’s going on with me lately – it’s like I can’t shake all these doubts I have about myself. It’s ridiculous – and annoying. And just…stupid.

And today I have just felt awful. One of my best friends is going through a really difficult time too with the recent loss of a family member and that just adds to the emotion more. Seeing her hurt the way she is, and me not really able to do anything about it – it’s just rough and it only adds to my emotions more.

Tonight, after I cried for like the billionth time – I just started getting frustrated with myself and frustrated with this hurt. I don’t know why I allow myself to become so blinded at times to how truly beautiful I am.

Seeing myself how God sees me – is one of the most difficult things for me.

“I just need to lay down, cry, read my bible and pray…” I thought to myself…

“What I need is to do a study on the way God sees me – maybe that will help me shake this feeling and get my head on straight…now where could I find such a study……….”

(If you have been around my blog for awhile then you know I wrote and taught a study early last year for the high school girls at my church about how much God loves them.)

That’s right….I did do that……..

When I was asked to do a study – I knew right away that I wanted to talk to the girls about how God sees them. I wanted them to know that they are loved just as they as and I wanted to make sure they looked to God and God ALONE for their security.

Several people have told me that I need to get this study published…and maybe one day I will…but I don’t know…I just have it…sitting in a folder on my computer…not getting much use out of it – so I thought I would share it with all of you since it is something that really meant/means a lot to me – and it’s full of lessons that I never want to forget.

There are eight lessons to this study…so I will post one a night…or one whenever I get around to it…

I decided to just go ahead and post the “Leaders copy” of each lesson because I have more notes on those – though that also means they are a little sloppy and might have incomplete thoughts here and there…because they were meant to serve as more of a guide for me to go off of when I taught this study to the girls. But don’t worry about those – just work it out for yourself on where I was going with it! Also, there may be places where there are bible verse references but no verse (or if the reference is underlined)…that was for when I had the girls look up the verses and read them…I didn’t do that for every verse because in some lessons there are just way too many verses and it took up a lot of time looking them up…

Also…re-reading this first lesson, I realize there are some comments that might not apply to you, my readers, like the part about how each girl was given a journal to write in throughout the study…you clearly, were not given a journal…or at least not by me – but if something does happen to speak to you – then by all means! Please!!! Write it down to save!!


Oh How He Loves Us
A study with Michal!!!

While thinking about exactly what I want to say for this study I obsessed over being able to find the PERFECT verse and the PERFECT words to stress to you all how much God loves you. So that if you have ever struggled with these things, you would finally be able to have that “AH-HA” moment and understand 100% from here on out how much God loves you and WHY He loves you!
If I had found this perfect revelation, you would have been set for life! You would no longer experience insecurities or loneliness! You would no longer strive to be that idea of “perfection” because you would understand that God loves you just how you are and that NOTHING will ever separate you from His love. You would walk prouder, laugher harder, smile bigger, and you would just be…YOU! Without a care or worry in the world, you would be…….PERFECT!
Unfortunately…but thankfully…God likes to show me how perfect I am not. And through all of my obsessing and worrying of trying to find this piece of perfection that we all are missing, I realized…or rather, God showed me…that as long as we are on earth, we will never be able to completely understand God’s love for us. And it is not His word that is lacking perfectionism – but my inability to fathom how sufficient His word truly is. Because when you start to sit down and think about how ugly and disgusting and dirty and grotesque our sins are, and how holy and clean and pure and PERFECT Christ is…it does not take long to realize that Him desiring beings that are the COMPLETE opposite of His nature…just simply does not make sense. And while we are on earth, we will never even scratch the surface of being able to fathom why He would ever love us. Or why He DESIRES US.
I have, as I am sure some of you have as well…struggled over and over again with this. I read the bible and see just how hurtful and truly disgusting my sins are. And Satan works his lies into my mind…
I am that person who is always wanting to know WHY something is the way that it is. But I have realized that my need to know why is just a sign of me wanting to be in control of it. And the truth is – I will never be able to control God’s love for me. Because God’s love for me is not contingent upon my work or my behavior. He will love me no more or less if I pack my bags right now and leave for another country to preach the gospel. He will love me no more or less if I sing louder on Sunday mornings so that every one in the church will hear my (hopefully) beautiful voice of worship. He will love me no more or less if I stand on the streets evangelizing, or if I volunteer at a shelter three times a week, or if I help out more in Sunday school or go to church every Sunday morning or bible study during the week. And unlike the world…His interest in me will never increase or decrease based on me losing 20lbs or gaining 50! His love is not contingent upon me looking my best every day and putting on a presentation that everything in my life is perfect and that I, being a “perfect” Christian, have it ALL together.
But also – He will love me no more or less when I sin. His love for me will not change when He hears the thoughts in my mind that I would be ashamed for any human to know. He will not disown me when I lie. His love for me will not decrease when I disobey His commandments. He will STILL love me when I blatantly disobey Him time and time again and tell Him that my way is better and that even though I know He promises GOOD to me – I am still going to live how I want to live and act how I want to act. Those times that I give in to my most selfish and disgusting desires, those times when I cheat and lie and steal, those times when I consciously HURT those around me, causing His beautiful creation to feel pain, those times when I fall into the same sin time after time and become overtaken with shame and guilt, those times when I allow ulterior motives to take over and start giving myself credit for the work I am doing for Him instead of giving all of the glory to Him…NONE OF THESE TIMES will ever be able to change His love for me. Because He has CREATED ME! He has CHOSEN ME! He continually DESIRES ME!!! And He will NOT throw me away or allow me to stray very far from Him until He moves Heaven and Earth to do what needs to be done to bring me back to Him.
BUT this does not give me permission to take advantage of God’s love. None of this gives me the right to live my life how I want, knowing that God will take me back. Because if I TRULY do accept God’s love – then I will TRULY understand the price. I will understand what it cost Him. I will understand that my sin and human nature was and is so disgusting that only something completely and utterly perfect could erase the things I have done and will do. And I need to understand that because of that cost, my life is eternally in debt. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 tells me that I was bought at a price, and because I have chosen to accept Christ into my life, I no longer belong to myself, but my body and mind and spirit belongs to God. That means; my thoughts, my actions, my words, every part of me belongs to God. And I should strive to live my life every day as an example of God’s love, glorifying Him in all that I can – because I am nothing but dry bones without God.

I am going to tell you guys a story about myself. A story that was fashioned because I allowed my insecurities to take over. Keep in mind that this story is not the beginning of where my insecurities started, but only where they led me to. I didn’t just decide one day that I was going to put myself in the situation that I ended up in. But it was something that, through time, my shame and guilt from my sins and my disbelief of God’s love for me brought me to. It is because of this story that my hearts desire is for all of you, and every other girl in the world to TRULY KNOW God and His LOVE for each of you and how He DESIRES YOU no matter how much you doubt it. Because YOUR DOUBTING does not change HIS TRUTHS! I hope and pray that by the end of this study, you will be able to stand confident in God’s truths, and that you will continually encourage each other to stand confident in them as well, because I never want any girl to ever have to go through what I went through because of doubts and insecurity.

But before I begin with that you need to know a few things…
First off: This study, at times – might be somewhat intense. I will be telling you guys some pretty in-depth, personal stuff about myself. Because I want you guys to TRULY know me and my heart and where I come from and how I have gotten where I am! Each week I will share some new pieces of my story with you as I feel led, because, hopefully, by knowing what I have gone through, you will truly be able to see God’s INCREDIBLE and PASSIONATE love. Please don’t be afraid to ask me questions – because we are sisters!! And my desire is for you guys to GENUINELY KNOW ME!
Second: My hope is that by me being so genuine, you all will feel safe to be genuine with yourselves as well. I want to hear from you girls. I want to get to know you guys and your hearts because I believe that God teaches us all different things in different ways and by sharing your thoughts – each girl will have the opportunity to be blessed by God – THROUGH YOU!!
Third: You have all been provided with notebooks because we want you all to get to know yourselves better! No on else will read what you write in these notebooks. They are solely for you! So write whatever you please in them! Whatever sticks out and captures you! Bible verses, quotes, thoughts, questions, revelations!! Anything that means something to you, write it down!! So that you will be able to keep whatever was worth writing for as long as you choose and you will have something to go to whenever you are feeling insecure or doubtful.
And lastly: The moment we step into this room I want you all to feel SAFE. It is important to realize that we ALL are sisters and we ALL have our struggles. Anything that is said during this study should be kept confidential between everyone in this room. My desire is to keep building a family here, a place of shelter and comfort. A place where everyone feels comfortable with sharing whatever they desire. We are called to love each other as Christ loves us. His love is safe and pure and a shelter – so we should all exemplify that.

Because God loves us, He gives us MANY different blessings and gifts! He shows His love for us in more ways than we could ever imagine. Since there are simply just too many things to go over and it would be impossible to cover them all in eight studies, I have chosen eight ways that I feel God is really placing on my heart to go over! Each week we will focus on these different things:
Love
Forgiveness
Salvation
Peace/Hope
Discipline
Community
Servant-hood
Protection

These are all things that God gives us because of His love for us and some of them are ways that we can express our love for God!
You know in 1 Corinthians how it states that Love is patient, love is kind…this relationship was the exact opposite of all of that.
            I was in an extremely abusive relationship for a little over a year. It started off physically abusive and then when people saw the bruises on my arms, he realized he could no longer be physical, so he became extremely mentally and emotionally abusive.
            I saw red flags at the beginning like – he was really insecure. And got offended super easy – and me, I love to joke around so it basically limited my personality a lot.
            At first I wasn’t allowed to hang out with other guys.
            My friends told me how I was starting to change. I was never happy around him. I couldn’t be happy.
            Then I couldn’t hang out with anyone who wasn’t a friend of his. Anyone he thought might bring in contradicting opinions to his.
            He thought everything out of my mouth was a lie
            He separated me from anyone he saw was a threat. I lost all of my friends and family.
            I couldn’t spend any time without him – I literally had to be with him every moment of the day. I remember one time just wanting to have some time to myself so I told him I was going to take a nap in my dorm. He showed up at my window and saw that I was watching a movie and he literally freaked out to where he started yelling at me and causing a huge scene.
            He would get mad at me for everything – he would tell me how stupid I was and how no one was ever going to love me the way that he did.
            It was suffocating. He literally broke me down. I was extremely exhausted and had lost every part of me.
            I could go on for hours about different things that he did to hurt me – but I don’t think much more is required for you all to get the hint of how toxic and utterly dangerous this relationship was.

I am not telling you guys all of this stuff so you will feel sorry for me, and I pray that it does not give you guys a negative view of me. I only tell you because I want you to look at your lives. Is there anything holding you back from Christ’s love? Is there anything lying to you and telling you that you are not precious and truly loved? Is there anything in your life that is feeding you lies about who YOU are? Satan will use anything to try to control us and keep us from God. It could be anything – it could be friends who don’t treat you kindly. It could be self-doubt and insecurities that you have. It could be past mistakes that you have made that weigh you down with shame and guilt.

           

Love is NOT manipulative



Week 1:
LOVE

What is your view of true love?
            When do you FEEL most loved?
            How do you show your love?


What does the world say about love?
            It’s fleeting – Based off of emotions
            It’s Blind
            It can make you do “crazy” things – not like being bold and telling someone you care about them complete with a marching band and fireworks – but literal crazy things like murder
            It’s conditional – I will love you IF you….

Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

Christ suffered for us: 1 Peter 3:18, “For Christ also suffered once for sins, the RIGHTEOUS for the UNRIGHTEOUS, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.”

John 3:16 means that Christ TOTALLY and COMPLETELY gave Himself for us. He did not partially give Himself for us. He TOTALLY gave Himself. The surrender of His holiness was so complete that God the Father actually could not even handle looking at Christ while He was on the cross that God abandoned Christ (Matthew 27:46)

Is love truly blind?
God is the only one who will ever know every single thing about me and still love and WANT me.
God knows EVERYTHING about us and still He loves us: Psalm 139

His love is NOT blind to our sins – Blind love is not true love. And WE DON’T WANT it to be. Wouldn’t you rather someone know every single thing about you and still DESIRE you and LOVE you? Rather than having to hide who you are and things that you have done? True love is recognizing and acknowledging sin, but forgiving and allowing/encouraging change

True love is selfless: John 15:12, 13: “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”

God’s love has no bounds: Hosea 14:4: “I will heal their waywardness and love them FREELY, for my anger has turned away from them.”

Even the most intelligent theologian’s interpretation of the bible should be taken with a grain of salt – we need to dig into the bible ourselves and find out just what it says! YES – Christ DOES LOVE US and will forgive us time and time again. BUT if we truly accept Him into our lives and He is living INSIDE of us – then instead of allowing sin into our life time and TIME again we need to pick up our cross EVERY DAY and deny our sin and live in a way that will glorify God!

We cannot earn God’s love: Ephesians 2:1-9: “As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.”

Love is NOT based off of feelings or emotions – what if God just randomly decided one day that He was tired of the way I was and just decided to let me go?
Psalm 103:8 “The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.”

Perfect love casts out fear

His love is not conditional – it has no boundaries, exceptions, or expectations


God is a jealous God: Exodus 20:5 “You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God…”

We need to JEALOUSLY guard our relationship with Christ.

Romans 8:31-39 - NOTHING can separate us from God’s love

What God says about love:

God’s love is passionate and FURIOUS!!! He will go to great lengths to bring you back to Him and He will destroy anything that try’s to steal you away from Him
           
It is CRUCIAL to remember that our daily circumstances and fickle feelings and emotions have no effect on God’s TRUTH concerning His love for us:

“The undiminished radiance, which is the result of abundant joy, is not built on anything passing, but on the love of God that nothing can change. And the experiences of life, whether they are everyday events or terrifying ones, are powerless to 'separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord' (Romans 8:39).” – Oswald Chambers

After thoughts:

How will this lesson affect the way I live my life?

How does this information change the way I feel about people, other relationships, and myself in general?

How can I remember and continually remind myself of God’s love for me?

If you have time – throughout the week, look through the bible and try to find verses that best represent love to you. Choose verses and passages that TRULY speak to you – that you will be able to turn to whenever you are feeling insecure and instantly be reminded that God TRULY loves you.

Quotes:

God is CRAZY about YOU!
“If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it. If He had a wallet, your photo would be in it. He sends you flowers every spring and a sunrise every morning. Whenever you want to talk, he’ll listen. He can live anywhere in the universe, and He chose your heart!” – Max Lucado

“God’s unfailing love for us is an objective fact affirmed over and over in the Scriptures. It is true whether we believe it or not. Our doubts do not destroy God’s love, nor does our faith create it. It originates in the very nature of God, who is love, and it flows to us through our union with His beloved Son.” – Jerry Bridges