Thursday, May 14, 2015

Week 2: Forgiveness


Week 2:
Forgiveness

            “Then Peter came to Him and said, ‘Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?’ Jesus said to him, ‘I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.’” – Matthew 18:21,22
            In God’s eyes, when someone sins against us and then apologizes, there is no limit on how much forgiveness we should extend. Not because He wants us to be a doormat for other people to walk all over, but because He knows how much forgiveness WE NEED when it comes to sinning against Him. Though it is natural for us to treat forgiveness as some sort of limited product that is only available for a certain amount of time or uses, He knows that the “limited quantity” would not even scratch the surface of how much will really be needed. But He knows more than that. He sees our hearts. He sees everything that no one else can see in us, not even ourselves. And He sees the hearts of everyone else too. He sees that none of us – no matter who we are or what we do, we are all alike – because WE ARE ALL SINNERS. Just because someone sins against you, does not make you any better or them any worse, because in God’s eyes, we are all on the same level. From whomever we would consider to be the most gruesome and appalling criminal, all the way to Mother Theresa – we are ALL sinners, and we ALL need God.
            Sometimes it seems impossible. If we look around us – it does not take long to see how much sin there is in the world. From every day thieves and murderers to worldwide devastation and catastrophes, it takes us no time at all to see how lost and hopeless the world is. From mans’ point of view, we are all destined for hell. We are on a continual downward spiral and we might as well “live it up” now because “You Only Live Once!”
But only HE can see what is really going on inside of us. Only He can see the hurt and the pain that we all are going through. We might be able to see the affects of sin all of around us – but only HE can truly see where it comes from and where it leads. And only He can see that the world is in this place because the only thing that hurt people know how to do is HURT PEOPLE.
But there IS HOPE!!! He knew that a day would come when you, His daughter, would need a savior. He knew that you would need someone to come barging in like a knight in shining armor, whisk you off of your feet and save you from the evil adversary and his land of desolation and destruction. But even more…He knew that to simply remove you from this world, would not be enough. Because you, yourself are lost. And He knew that you would need more forgiveness than any human being could ever extend. He knew a day would come when you would be so overwhelmed with all of your wrong choices and all of the shame and guilt that they bring. And He knew that you would need someone to pull you out of your mess, place you back on your feet and walk with you until the end. He also knew the cost would be so great that you would never truly understand it, and yet He paid it. Knowing that you would take it for granted and reuse your need for forgiveness over and over again, He still did what He knew needed to be done, because He loves you SO much – more than any other being ever has or will – and He knew He would be so in love with you, that He would want to keep you for eternity. He knew what He would have to do in order to be able to save you, so He paid the price needed in order to forgive you.


What does forgiveness look like to you?

What does the world say about forgiveness?
            Get even
            It’s more about “me” – if someone hurt me I don’t have to forgive them
            It questions, “Why should I forgive…after how much they hurt me?”
            It’s conditional – it needs to be earned and proven.
            Just “forget” and move on

What does the bible say forgiveness looks like?

·        Ephesians 4:31,32Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”
·        True forgiveness is not based off of emotions – it is not conditional – “I will forgive you – but now you have to prove yourself to me”

·        The ultimate form of forgiveness is the CROSS.

What if Christ had not come to die for our sins?

·        We would still being living under the law, but because of our sin, we fail to live up to the law, so there would be no salvation.
·        EVEN IF we could live “up to the law” we would STILL fall short in other areas – The Pharisees – pride, self-glorification

Romans 8:1-4 “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.”


Forgiveness comes in threes:
*God*
*Me*
*Man*

I’ll tell you what forgiveness between humans looks like to me. I talked last week about how much my relationship had pushed me away from everyone who loved me and everyone I loved.  There were a few main friends in my life when all of this started going down.
One of my friends was suffering from things going on in her own life. She had graduated college the year before and moved back home so I never saw her during this whole time I was in this relationship – yet she kept reaching out to me every now and then because she knew I needed her and she needed me too! She would text me and call me and write me letters…I kept pushing her away and ignoring her and then finally when my relationship ended, I worked up the nerve to call her and one of the things she said to me I will NEVER forget. She told me how while I had been pushing her away, she was going through her own stuff and she really needed me. That was the first time I ever even thought about how much my relationship was hurting other people besides myself. I saw how much I had hurt my best friend and how selfish I was and how awful of a friend I was to her. But she FORGAVE me. To this day – she has NOT ONCE held my mistakes against me.  She welcomed me back with open arms. And forgave me for not being there for her and for hurting her – instead of pushing me away the same way I did her – she happily allowed our relationship to be restored.

Two of my other best friends were dating (each other). Unlike my first friend, these two people were still at the college with me and saw the whole thing go down. They saw the bruises on my arms and witnessed the anger and abuse my ex exhibited. They stuck up for me, defended me, fought for me, argued for me, protected me…they tried their hardest to show me how unhealthy and toxic my relationship was…they did everything they could to show their love for me and then when it started getting too bad – they did what was the healthiest thing for them to do – they separated themselves from me. Not too long later – they were engaged. I don’t even remember how long it had been since I had spoken with them, at least 5 months…when we did a class exercises where we got in a circle and chose someone to throw a ball to and tell them something we admired about them. My former friend (the guy) chose to throw the ball to me and tell me something he admired about me. That was the only time words were spoken between us for at least 6 more months probably…until the week before their wedding. My relationship had been over for several weeks and my friend mentioned above was in town for these two friends’ wedding, so I went to pick the above friend up from my soon to be married friends house, to have coffee and catch up when I had the short chance to speak with my soon to be married friend (sorry – this is confusing to write/read…I know). My friends who were getting married invited me to their wedding. We hadn’t had an actual conversation in almost a year – and they STILL wanted me at their wedding…I ended up going to their wedding and when they returned from their honeymoon I had the chance to catch up with them…it was a little shakey at first just because of all the hurt that had happened and all of the trust that had been broken…but some time passes and it was just like it was before. It was beautiful. Just like my first friend, these two welcomed me back into their lives – and we are still pretty close to this day…

This is forgiveness to me. I have plenty of other examples I could give. I have other friends who forgave me and welcomed me back into their lives…but these three are the main ones who really have exhibited God’s forgiveness towards me.

These people show me Christ’s love more than I think I’ll ever even realize…


God forgives us.

I had to ask God to forgive me for putting my faith in man instead of putting it in Him. – It’s something I still have to work on, all of the time.

·        Colossians 2:13,14 “When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.”
·        Psalm 103:10-12he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.”
·        Ephesians 1:7,8

·      Forgiveness does NOT mean there will not still be consequences.   Ÿ

Consequences – though they are not fun – they are good!! They are what shows us why we shouldn’t do stuff.
Any consequences that we experience on earth are a sign of Gods mercy because we truly deserve Hell.
I still have plenty of things that I struggle with because of allowing myself to be in that relationship, which I will talk more about next week!
·        Psalm 130: 3,4 (NKJ): “If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared.”

Mercy vs. Grace

- Mercy is God withholding from us the punishment that we do deserve (Hell)
- Grace is God giving us things we do not deserve (Blessings)

Don’t belittle Christ’s act on the cross by saying it is not enough to cover what you have done or will do. God ALREADY knew BEFORE He sent His Son the kind of people we were going to be.

“Jesus wraps a servant’s girdle around his waist, takes up the basin, and kneels before one of the disciples. He unlaces a sandal and gently lifts the foot and places it in the basin, covers it with water, and begins to bathe it. One by one, one grimy foot after another, Jesus works his way down the row….
You can be sure Jesus knows the future of these feet he is washing. These twenty-four feet will not spend the next day following their master, defending his cause. These feet will dash for cover at the flash of a Roman sword. Only one pair of feet won’t abandon him in the garden. One disciple won’t desert him at Gethsemane—Judas won’t even make it that far!...
Behold the gift Jesus gives his followers! He knows what these men are about to do….And when they do, he wants them to remember how his knees knelt before them and he washed their feet.
He wants them to realize those feet are still clean….
He forgave their sin before they even committed it.
He offered mercy before they even sought it.” – Max Lucado, Just Like Jesus

We need to forgive ourselves.

I had to forgive myself for sinning and for putting myself in the situations I did. I had to learn to forgive myself for hurting others around me and for not doing what I knew was right.
When we don’t forgive ourselves, we cannot forgive others. It creates bitterness and resentment.
·        Our sin affects others. Realizing how truly hurtful our sins are to God, ourselves, and OTHERS.
·        Christ not only washed away ALL of our sins, but He bore our shame as well.
·        2 Corinthians 7:10,11 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter.”
This is why it is so important to be in The Word and SPEND TIME with God, so we can learn more about Him and why our sin is so wrong!

We need to forgive other people.

Part of my healing process was that I had to learn to TRULY forgive my ex for what he put me through. If I had not forgiven him, I would still be carrying it and I would carry it into my other relationships.
How we handle forgiveness affects the way we build and maintain relationships.
- Realizing that everyone is a sinner and no one is perfect - Placing our faith in GOD and NOT man. When we place other people on a pedestal and assume they’re perfect, we are devastated when they fail us. Or when we punishing new people for what old people did to us.
- Don’t sweep issues “under the rug” - Unhealed wombs keep re-opening

Why? How?
·        Colossians 3:12-14 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.”
I knew that forgiving my ex would mean: not wishing bad against him.
For friends, I knew they had forgiven me because they did not bring up the hurt I had caused them or used it as leverage…
Forgiveness is a choice – BUT it is also a command.

·        Do not put a face to your struggles: Ephesians 6:12, “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
- Remove the blame - instead of saying “oh so and so hurt me” say “I have been hurt…what is going on in my heart right now”

What does Paul say happens if we do not forgive? 2 Corinthians 2:5-11 If anyone has caused grief, he has not so much grieved me as he has grieved all of you to some extent—not to put it too severely. The punishment inflicted on him by the majority is sufficient. Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him. Another reason I wrote you was to see if you would stand the test and be obedient in everything. Anyone you forgive, I also forgive. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.”

·        When we choose not to forgive, it creates separation…between us and God and us and other people

So when we don’t want to forgive, or are hurt so badly and don’t know how, what should we do?
·        Pray! Don’t allow emotions to get in the way and corrupt your judgment. Don’t allow satan to use it to turn you into someone you hate.
·        Go to Gods word – look for passages about forgiveness.
·        Ask God to show us what we need forgiveness for and where we are wrong in the situation.
·        Start with the small things. When brothers or sisters annoy you, pray for patience with them.
·        If we aren’t wrong – realize that we are wrong in God’s eyes for other things, but He has forgiven us.
·        Pray for the person! Praying for someone else not only heals them…but it brings healing to us as well.
·        Set healthy boundaries so things will not continue to happen. I had to learn to set healthy boundaries in relationships, even in friendships. I learned my insecurities and know where I have to draw the line instead of living wreckless and careless. My friends who separated themselves for me when I was in the unhealthy relationship – they did that because that was their healthy boundary. They had to protect themselves from me and my relationship because it was toxic and affected everyone around me.

Things to think about…

·        How does knowing that I am forgiven affect the way I live?
- How does this change the way I feel about myself, other people, and relationships in general?
·        How can I remember and continually remind myself that I am forgiven?

Quotes:

“Once you realize all that it cost God to forgive you, you will be held as in a vise, constrained by the love of God” – Oswald Chambers

“It wasn’t the Romans who nailed Jesus to the cross. It wasn’t spikes that held Jesus to the cross. What held him to that cross was his conviction that it was necessary that he become sin – that he who is pure become sin and that the wrath of God be poured down, not upon the creation, but upon the Creator.
When the one who knew no sin became sin for us, when the sinless one was covered with all the sins of all the world, God didn’t call his army of angels to save him. He didn’t, because he knew he would rather give up his Son than give up on us.
Regardless of what you’re done, it’s not too late. Regardless of how far you’ve fallen, it’s not too late. It doesn’t matter how low the mistake is, it’s not too late to dig down, pull out that mistake, and then let it go – and be free.

What makes a Christian a Christian is not perfection but forgiveness.” – Max Lucado