Monday, July 13, 2015

A challenged heart


A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” 
- John 13:34,35

“Unloving” has never been a word that I have heard people use when describing me. And yet, I am the cruelest person I know.

My impure and unkind thoughts are so natural to me that I worry, at times, that they are written all over my face.

I know it is only my insecurities that keep me from loving others the way I should…




But this past week I was challenged.

“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” 
– Ephesians 5:25

There has always been (in my mind) this huge responsibility for my future husband. He is to not only love me – but love me “just as Christ loved the church.”

He should give his life for me.

Respect me and always look out for what’s best for me.

Genuine, pure, selfless LOVE.

What a lucky gal I shall be one day.



But then I think – what about me?

How am I to love?

Not just my [future] husband – but everyone?


What if I actually took the bible for its word?

What if the way that I love people – shows my love for Christ?

What if the way that I love people – is the way I love Christ?



What if every time I became frustrated or bothered or had a bad attitude and acted out towards someone – is the way I act towards Christ?



This past week I went to Hume with my old high school group. I can’t even begin to explain what a blessing it was.

But there were times when I was frustrated…and annoyed…and tired…and grumpy…and bothered…and….insecure.

And the Holy Spirit smacked me in the face: “The way you love them is the way you love Me.

And then suddenly I started thinking – what if that girl, whom I love dearly, but annoys me to no end – is providing me a way to love Christ. Or what if that girl who lights up when she hears a complete stranger say something that one of our leaders says every day – is Jesus putting His hand on mine telling me He desires my friendship. What if that girl whom I bluntly respond to is me responding to Christ…

And I began to see how my attitude and thoughts and insecurities – truly affect not just my relationship with others…but my relationship with Christ.




“We love because he first loved us.” – 1 John 4:19



If I truly believed that Christ loved me – I would not hesitate when it came to loving others.

How could I?



I so easily fall into the trap of believing that if only I were separated from the “situation” that I could clear my head and work on myself to be better in that exact situation.

But how can I grow when I am removed from the very thing I need to grow with???



Our love for Christ doesn’t grow if we constantly push Him away.

And our love for others won’t grow if we do that either…



“The reconciliation of the human race according to His plan means realizing Him not only in our lives individually, but also in our lives collectively. Jesus Christ sent apostles and teachers for this very purpose— that the corporate Person of Christ and His church, made up of many members, might be brought into being and made known. We are not here to develop a spiritual life of our own, or to enjoy a quiet spiritual retreat. We are here to have the full realization of Jesus Christ, for the purpose of building His body.”
– Oswald Chambers




“Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.” 
- 1 John 4:20,21