Monday, June 29, 2015

Week 5: Discipline

Week 5
Discipline

Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.” – 1 Corinthians 9:26,27
            Paul’s words are piercing. He makes it clear that each step he takes is utterly intentional. No breath he breathes goes without recognition. No word he speaks is without meaning. No move of his is wasted.
            Discipline, at times, might be hard to swallow. Depending on our personal experiences, the thought of discipline could exhaust us, terrify us, or exhilarate us! But with God – ALL discipline is necessary. Whether it is Him punishing us for something we have done, or Him allowing us to experience difficult things in order to strengthen and grow us – He uses every aspect of it to perfect us and bring us closer to Him.
            But discipline is hard work. It’s long hours and dedication. It’s learning the same lesson over and over again until you get it right. It often comes with restless nights and exhausting days. It’s being aware of every sinful detail in our lives and asking God to keep doing what He needs to do in order to perfect us and make us more like Him. It is living each day intentionally and never allowing ourselves to lose sight of why we are putting in all this work in the first place. And it is persevering PAST our emotions – true discipline recognizes only what is GOOD for us – and not only in that moment – but for eternity.
Godly discipline is the key to the Christian faith. It is the means to genuine change and the only thing that allows us to be able to truly identify ourselves with Christ. Without it – we would never experience, or even understand, the type of relationship that God yearns for us to have with Him.


What is discipline to you?

What is the difference between godly discipline and worldly (or ungodly) discipline?

What does the bible say about discipline?

Disciplining ourselves:
Proverbs 4:23-27Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Keep your mouth free of perversity; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you. Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways. Do not turn to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.”

James 1:12 “Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.”

James 1:26 “If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless.”

We are ALL slaves to SOMETHING:

Romans 6:5-7 “For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin.”

“’I have been crucified with Christ…’ (Galatians 2:20). The inescapable spiritual need each of us has is the need to sign the death certificate of our sin nature. I must take my emotional opinions and intellectual beliefs and be willing to turn them into a moral verdict against the nature of sin; that is, against any claim I have to my right to myself. Paul said, ‘I have been crucified with Christ…’ He did not say, ‘I have made a determination to imitate Jesus Christ,’ or, ‘I will really make an effort to follow Him’-but-‘I have been identified with Him in His death.’” – Oswald Chambers

We need to discipline ourselves to not “flirt” with sin. Christ does not say to sin “littler” He says to not sin AT ALL.

When I closed the door (literally) on my unhealthy relationship – I knew that had to be it. It had to be. I couldn’t flirt with it anymore – not that I wanted to – since it had gotten to a point where the effects of it were way past toxic and corruptive. But I knew that my “no” had to mean no. FOR GOOD. I couldn’t allow any emotions or hurt or insecurities or loneliness get in the way of what I knew needed to be done.

This is a rare case for me. Rare in the sense that – I actually didn’t feel like I wanted to go back at all…but I knew it wasn’t going to be easy. It wasn’t just that I couldn’t flirt with the idea of returning to THAT relationship – it was the fact that I couldn’t flirt with the idea of going to any relationship. I couldn’t put myself in a vulnerable situation. No rebound – no close friendships with guys – no more looking for “security” in the wrong places. No dwelling, obsessing, fantasizing or daydreaming. No. No. NO.

I had to give my heart 100% to God. I knew that there was going to come a day where he was going to find someone new and I didn’t want my heart to feel an ounce of rejection, hurt or betrayal. I wanted to belong to God.

Maybe the idea of “casually dating around” is okay for some people. Maybe for some people it is harmless…but for me – it is just not possible. And the older I get – the more I LOVE that about myself. But when I was younger – I hated it. I idealized people who could “date around” and never seemed to be affected by it. And my desire to be like those people is what started to turn me into someone I never wanted to be. It started to ruin me. That is how I ended up in what seemed to start off as a “harmless” relationship – but quickly turned into the most destructive relationship I had ever witnessed first hand. I had to make the decision to die to that part of myself which yearned to be able to have “harmless” relationships like so many other people I knew. I had to trust in who God made me – and trust in Him.

Just because something is not “wrong” does not mean it is not “wrong for us”. Seek God and listen to what HE wants for you, not what you want for you. Read your bible! Pray! Seek God! Know what He says is RIGHT for YOU!

James 1:5-8 “But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.”

We need to make the decision: Are we going to allow our sin to rule us, or are we going to be determined to have sin die in our lives.

The greatest commandment:

Matthew 22:34-38: “But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, ‘Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?’ And He said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment.”

Which is more difficult to control? Your heart, your mind, or your strength?

We cannot control any of these things if we are not looking towards the ONE who created them.

When should we practice discipline?

Christ says to pick up our cross DAILY!!

Luke 9:23 “And He was saying to them all, ‘If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.’”

DAILY!!! Not once a week…or once a month…or once a year…or every other holiday…or when we feel like it…or when we don’t feel like it. He says to do it DAILY! Because He knows that our struggles are DAILY. Each day is filled with countless distractions and we are constantly under attack. Satan NEVER forgets OUR purpose…and neither should we!!!
Satan will use whatever he can to slow us down and hold us back. But with God, no opportunity is wasted. No chance for growth is overlooked. And no struggle we face is unnecessary.
Discipline is persevering when we no longer have the feelings from the “mountaintop”. (Luke 9:28-36)
Godly Discipline

God disciplines us because He LOVES us
Hebrews 12:1-13:
·      Christ is our example
·      Sin entangles and distracts us
·      God disciplines us out of love
Proverbs 3:12 “For whom the LORD loves He reproves, Even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights.”
·      God desires for us to share His holiness
·      Discipline yields righteousness


We are NOT alone!! Christ INTERCEDES FOR US!!! He PRAYS for US!!

Romans 8:34 “Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died – more than that, who raised to life - is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.”

Hebrews 7:25 “Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.”

What are some ways that we can apply discipline in our lives…

For me – there are sooo many ways. Some times I become overwhelmed when I think about how perfect I am not and how much work I have to do…but that is when I remember that God loves me just as I am. It is because of that that I should want to change and make change happen.

I am usually the person who has to “learn the hard way” – but that relationship was an utter extreme. We shouldn’t have to get that far before we turn around. We should be walking with Christ daily so that we never have to turn around…veer back on the path, maybe…but never have to do a 180.

Learning who we are and how God has created us is vital to our growth and change. Some times it’s not fun – but asking God to reveal in us what He sees we need to work on, is the only way we can start the process. For example, I have learned that I am an extremely emotional person – and I allow myself to get attached to people pretty easily – and because of this, I am able to set healthy (and sometimes extreme) boundaries for myself when it comes to relationships and friendships…because I know that I tend to put people in God’s place far too easily – and I don’t want to do that. Every move I did and did not make had to be intentional – I had to “run in such a way, as not without aim” I had to “box in such a way, as not beating the air” and I had to “discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.” Every move and lack-there-of had to count. I couldn’t no longer be this careless child jumping in and out of reckless situations – because what seemed innocent slowly tore away more and more of who I was…and if it weren’t for the grace of God – I probably wouldn’t be here today.

Ask God to show you what you need to work on. Even if it is just one thing at a time.

“…Do it quickly— bring yourself to judgment now. In moral and spiritual matters, you must act immediately. If you don’t, the inevitable, relentless process will begin to work. God is determined to have His child as pure, clean, and white as driven snow, and as long as there is disobedience in any point of His teaching, He will allow His Spirit to use whatever process it may take to bring us to obedience. The fact that we insist on proving that we are right is almost always a clear indication that we have some point of disobedience. No wonder the Spirit of God so strongly urges us to stay steadfastly in the light! (see John 3:19-21).” – Oswald Chambers