Friday, December 11, 2015

If, by chance, this could be enough…



I got home around 11:30 last night, picked up my computer and laid in my bed.

Planning on writing a blog post about something completely different.

But for some reason you came into my mind.

I honestly can’t say I’m surprised.

Lately I have been thinking about what I truly want in life. And pieces of your character keep popping into my mind.

It’s been awhile since we have really talked – a little over a year, actually.


I thought about reaching out to you a little over a week ago – the last time we spoke, things ended roughly. And the last thing you said to me proved that my actions cut you deeply.

I don’t think you’re immature or petty for being so hurt over it all. Though I wish you would have extended more grace to me – because I was only doing what I felt right. But I still empathize with and understand your anger.

So it feels wrong to think that merely texting you would be enough.

I know what it’s like to receive a “simple” text from someone, explaining how “sorry” they are, and dismissing it as a half-minded, effortless action. Texting is just simply not enough. Anyone can send a text. You deserve much more.

And that is exactly what stopped me from reaching out to you – in any form – You deserve much more.

Over the years, you have known exactly where your feelings have stood with me. But I have not ever understood the level of my feelings for you – and you deserve much more.

But even though I have been confused at times – I have always known that you are my good friend – and you deserve much more.

I have had my emotions messed with and my heart taken for granted before (just recently in fact) – and you deserve much more.

You were there for me through two of the craziest times in my life. You always seem to understand everything I was going through and extend comfort and healing words in a way that few other people have exhibited to me. But I’m not sure I was ever there for you exactly the way you were for me – and you deserve SO much more.

You know how they say if you love someone let them go? I am not sure if that is what’s going on here – I know I love you as a best friend. You were there with me for so long – through so many different things. If I were in love with you – I would have never let you go – I would have done anything to be with you. And I would be doing everything I could, at this very moment, to reach out to you and fight for you. I would never let my efforts for you to be mistaken as half-assed, second-thought attempts. But because I’m not in love with you – I knew I needed to let you go. Because that’s what you deserve. You don’t deserve to just be “the best friend” or the “brother figure”. You deserve much more.

So please understand – though it may make no difference now – understand that I DO care about you. I always have. And I miss you so much. But I see that you are genuinely happy. And that is exactly what you deserve.

It is strange how you were once such a major part of my life, and now, I barely know you. It’s kind of strange, in a way, going through things and not having you there to talk to about it. I can’t meet one person and keep from telling them about you. I tell them about how you were my best friend and you were there for me through everything. I tell them about how you allowed me to be 100% myself and took me just as I was. I tell them about how you accepted me back into your life after my abusive relationship, and you stood there with me and had patience when I was still dealing with the effects of it all. You showed me a love that could have only come from the strength of God. You listened to me cry. You had grace when I misinterpreted your instructions as being controlling, when you were only trying to give friendly advice. Lunch dates with you were some of my favorite. The way we could just be idiots and laugh uncontrollably while the world just looked at us like we were insane. I know there were times that I made you so angry. And you weren’t always the easiest person either. But that’s what I loved. I could yell at you and tell you how annoying and insane you were being and you could do the same to me…we could be honest about how we were feeling towards each other. Just like best friends should be able to. Then five minutes later we could be watching the next episode of Are You Afraid of The Dark and making fun of the actors like we were apart of Mystery Science Theater.



If I could tell you one last thing, it would be that I am genuinely so happy for you. I have never seen you this happy. And it is incredible. You truly deserve the best. A few nights ago I prayed for you and thanked God that He brought someone into your life that could give you just what you deserve. Seeing you so full of joy, literally, brings so much joy to me.

And that’s how I know that I genuinely love you.

And that’s why I just can’t allow myself to reach out to you.

Because you finally have what you deserve.

I know that our friendship was a season in my life. You have been a gift from God. You have taught me so much and helped me to grow in so many ways. You kept pushing me to be better and to overcome my struggles. I miss your encouragement so much. But I know I cant allow my selfishness of wanting my “good friend” back, to throw even the slightest wedge in what you have now. Not saying you miss me any…but I respect you and what you have now way too much to ever try to disturb it.

But…at the risk of sounding like a cheesy Taylor Swift song – every time I think about you and don’t reach out to you, I almost do.



Thank you for always being the best of friend to me. Thank you for showing me that there are people who can love me just as I am. Thank you for showing me that I should never settle for less than what God has for me in life…

Because I deserve SO much more.