Monday, May 12, 2014

Love is...longsuffering?


I have had a lot of anxieties lately.

There are a few battles going on inside of me that I really have not wanted to be honest about.

So – I have done what any self-righteous human being would have done…I ran…

Or at least, I tried to.

You know when you have been really hurt by something and it takes awhile to heal from it? Well…it has been QUITE a while…and I was doing really well – so naturally, I had come to the conclusion that the appropriate amount of “healing” time had passed…and I was free from any further pain or negativity that this particular thing had to offer…

Dumb.

The other day my devotional was about “burning bridges” to our past – the ones that keep us from loving and keep us held down in bitterness and ultimately…keep us useless to God.

Great! “burning bridges…” I can do that! In fact – I would LOVE to do that!!! I’ll douse those things completely in gasoline, take a blowtorch to ‘em and watch ‘em burn completely…and abruptly…to the ground! I won’t ever have to worry about them again!!! Whatever they connected me to will soon be lost and forgotten and I will finally be rid of all of it!!!

Best.

Plan.

Ever.

When can I start?

So loving I am…

So eager to [lovingly] “burn bridges” to my past…

So full of virtue.

So. Dumb.

It only took me about………three weeks to realize that my problem is not whatever those “bridges” connect me to…but my problem is my heart concerning the issues.

I am so thankful that God’s love for me is not contingent upon my level of “loveableness.” (yes, that is a word)

PRAISE GOD that it is just His NATURE to LOVE ME!!

It is not something He has to ever force, or ever spend a few days, or weeks, or months, reconsidering or contemplating…but He just loves me because…it is just Him.

That’s the easy part…

“…love one another as I have loved you.” – John 15:12

What?

“…love one another as I have loved you.”

Okay! But just the people that I really get along with and like right?

“…love one another as I have loved YOU.”

Alright…but not the people who have ever hurt or betrayed me, yeah?

“…love one another as I have loved YOU.”

Okay…….but not the crazy people….like the murderers and criminals?

“…love one another as I have loved YOU.”

No matter how I try to look at it…I could easily be considered as one of the worst of the worst.

Not because I have killed someone…or because I have ever committed some atrocious crime against another human…

But because I know HIS commands…and I ignore them.

“…love one another as I have loved YOU.”

“Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.” (v. 13)

For my friends…hopefully in a heartbeat…but for those whom I don’t always consider friends? What about them?

I guess it comes down to why I would ever consider someone to not be my friend.

I could give you a thousand reasons why this person or that person is not my friend.

But, if He were asked, how many reasons would Christ be able to give for why it doesn’t make sense that HE CALLS ME friend.

Not only that…but what He did in order to make a way for me to come to Him, before I even knew Him… “while [I was] still a sinner…”

So………bridges…

Can we just drain the river and maybe crawl under them from time to time…?

Would that be love?

Sure…if I consider taking the petty mans way out of things to be love…

TRUE LOVE is “spontaneous, but it has to be maintained through discipline…”

So “random acts of kindness” (or tolerance, in my case) every now and then to try to prove to myself (and others) that I am “totes” fine is not satisfactory…?

“The Lord is…longsuffering toward us…” (2 Peter 3:9)

That’s how He loves me…

He is longsuffering towards me…

He fights for me and works with me and smacks me in the face over and over again until I get it right.

And because His love for me is longsuffering…then my love for others should be longsuffering as well.

Longsuffering in the sense that…yes, I have been deeply hurt by this…several times…but I have deeply hurt Christ…several million times…yet He loves me and continually drives me to what is best.

So here I am. I am trying. I am disciplining myself each day…each and every day…to be longsuffering towards it and continue to love. Because no matter how many ways I hurt Christ, my offenses towards Him are not held against me. So whatever has been done to me – it doesn’t matter. None of it matters.

I think, too many times, I foolishly try to tell God how it is – instead of allowing Him to do what HE wants in my life…

I don’t know how long this is going to take…everything in my mind says I am completely ready to be over it all…

Praise God that He is GOD and He cannot be anything but GOD.

If “burning my bridges” is going to take away an essential lesson that God has for me and an opportunity for growth, then please, leave the bridge alone.

Take about 20 steps back, surround the thing with caution tape, and place guards at both ends…armed guards…

No matter how anxious it makes me…or how much hurt it brings up…I don’t ever want to bypass or miss out on something that God wants to teach me.

Maybe it’s not about “burning bridges”…maybe it’s about transforming them from bonds to bitterness into resources of love.

Maybe tomorrow I will wake up and all of these struggles will just be what I thought they were for so long… “in the past”…

Or maybe I will find these trials to be even more burdensome in the morning…

Who knows, besides God?

I don’t…and I don’t need to…

All I care to continually remember is that; “In the multitude of my anxieties within me, YOUR comforts delight my soul.” (Psalm 94:19)