Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Sometimes, not even my dog wants to be around me


I am not quite sure how often I have talked about this. But for some reason, at the moment, I really feel like I need to share more on the subject.


I know I have written several times about how restless I can become, and how I often have a racing mind that just takes me some time to calm down at times. And I know I have mentioned my poor memory, but I don’t know just how detailed I have been with my struggles.

I struggle A LOT with anxiety problems. I have not actually seen anyone to diagnose me officially, but being a psychology major, I have seen/experienced enough signs for myself to know that I definitely fall into the category of some sort of anxiety disorder, which is weird, because it wasn’t until recently that I actually started realizing that what I struggle with, is in fact something more than just an occasional distraction.

If I were attempting to describe the things I feel during an “episode” it could go along the lines of any of the following:

If there is something that I am struggling with or cannot get off of my mind, it will be all that I think about over and over again. My mind will start racing with thoughts of this particular thing. It can be anything…something that I am stressed or nervous about, something I am afraid of, or even just something that I am going through. My mind goes 100 miles per hour and I can feel my heart racing and I start to get hot-flashes and basically just feel like I am going crazy…hah…I have difficulty getting my mind to focus on anything, even those fears/thoughts themselves…it is literally as if I cannot control my mind. I can try to just tell myself to calm down and stop thinking about it, but that only causes me to think about it even harder because I am trying to consciously get myself to stop thinking about it…

Or

If there is something that I feel under pressure about, I feel fine at first, but as more and more time passes my mind starts racing (again) and I get extremely irritable and jumpy and there is basically no talking to me or trying to offer me help/advice. My mind will be racing one minute and the next it will go completely blank and I have difficulty getting my mind to focus on what I need to be focusing on, which leads me to become even more stressed. I basically become paralyzed with the stress that I feel and all I can do is just sit there and “go through the motions” until it starts to subside and I am able to get more of a grasp on my thoughts.

If I feel stressed for long periods of time, like a few days or a week or more, then my hair can start to fall out and I have extreme difficulty with falling asleep and staying asleep, so my body and mind are always exhausted. I feel detached from life, like I am not accomplishing anything during the day and if I am able to focus on anything, it is only on whatever I am stressed or have anxiety over, even when I am doing something that has nothing to do with it, otherwise my mind is basically blank.

Maybe this does not seem that serious, and maybe you, yourself are even thinking that you have experienced similar situations, which would not surprise me because I believe that most people do have occasional struggles with anxiety.

But if you have no idea what I am talking about and just think that I am a crazy person…I don’t blame you. Having a serious struggle with anxiety really does make me feel like I am crazy sometimes.

And I feel awful for anyone who comes in contact with me while I am going through one of these times.

I used to think that it was just that I simply did not handle stress well…which I do tend to procrastinate A LOT so that definitely plays a factor when it comes to me panicking over deadlines. But then I started realizing that it was happening more and more when I was stressed or going through something emotional.

I was diagnosed earlier last year with a mild case of PTSD after I had gotten out of an abusive relationship, but I thought that eventually that would go away. So I am not quite sure if that plays a role in my current anxiety struggles, but I am sure that it is possible that it is somehow connected because I did realize that my attacks have gotten worse in the past two years…but specifically this past year…so who knows!

I also have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia (I know…so many problems…but I guess that is kind of what it’s about…identifying your problems and what you struggle with so that you are aware of them and are able to grow and overcome them…right?) So when I don’t eat right…for instance, if I have a lot of carbs or sugar…I am more likely to have an episode…this is not always the case, but I do know that when I take better care of myself physically, then my blood sugar is leveled out and I am just more healthy in general.

(The poor poor man who has to marry me…hopefully he never reads this blog! Or at least not before he gets to really know me haha…)

Alright…enough of my problems…let’s hear some SOLUTIONS!!!

I want to be able to control all of this as much as I am able to, because the bible does tell us that worrying is, in fact, a sin! It is me trying to take control of my life and telling God that I don’t trust that He has everything all planned out, and that He has not given me everything that I need. It is discouraging at times because when I am having an anxiety attack, I really do feel like I cannot control it…but that just serves to show me just how important it is to know ahead of time what I can do to help subside my anxiety and hopefully, eventually, be able to fully prevent it.

I think it is extremely important through all of this to not make my anxiety a “god” over me, and to not let it cripple me in life. The times that it becomes so overwhelming and obsessive to me, are some of the most scary and frustrating times…but I can rest in the fact that God has provided me a way out. And as long as I look to Him – He will save me. (1 Corinthians 10: 13-14)

One of the most controllable steps I can take is eating right! Which, for me, basically means staying completely away from sugar and carbs, and getting a healthy, balanced diet of veggies and protein…and LOTS and LOTS of water!

Also, exercise does help! Exercise (specifically cardio) is just therapeutic for the whole body! It gives me a way to relieve a lot of stress and also provides some time for me to just clear my mind and just RUN!

Force myself to get into bed, with NO distractions, at a reasonable hour of night and then trying to wake up early. This is difficult – but can be MUCH easier when I have the first two things (eating right and exercising) under control!

I have also learned that it is better for me to plan my days out ahead of time, leaving myself PLENTY of time to do what I need to get done…even if I need to be generous when writing out my schedule and allow more time than necessary for certain things. It helps if I first write out everything that I need to get done by the end of the week and then break those things up in to specific days. I do admit that it is harder for me to plan EXACTLY between what and what time I should have what done by…and I must admit that I HATE doing this because it can cause stress…but it is a healthy way to make myself used to deadlines…because after all…for the time being I may be in control of my time, but it has not always and will not always be like that. So it is good practice.

Also… writing helps A LOT. I am very big on journaling and writing down all of my thoughts (obviously). Which really comes in handy! Usually I journal before bed, and I know this, so during the day when I am experiencing anxiety about something, I just remind myself that later that night I will be able to write all about it, so I don’t have to worry about it at the moment. But at the same time…this can cause me to just want to stop doing whatever I am doing and just go journal…which is okay from time to time…but not necessarily a good habit to create because I am not always in the position to be able to have that luxury. Another thing that really helps is making a “worry list”. Which kind of goes a long with me writing in my journal, but this is more of a list of things where I write about what is bothering me, why I feel it is bothering me, what I am afraid of because of this, and then I think about what I am actually accomplishing by worrying about it…which is usually nothing good! Then from there, I write about what I should be focused on instead. This is something I have learned recently from a book that my youth pastors wife and I have been going through: Putting off old, unhealthy habits, while replacing them with new, healthy ones.

Something else that I have also learned fairly recently is, whenever I start to think of something I don’t want to focus on, I think of the different names of God instead. This technique is especially one of my favorites…because it is serving a few purposes: It is causing me to focus on something greater than myself (God) and it is helping me learn more and more about Him and who He is. At first it started off as, whenever I would start to feel that unwanted thoughts were starting to come into my mind or I was starting to panic or become overwhelmed by anxiety, I would recite the different ways (that I knew of) that the bible describes God: “God, Christ, Jesus, Lord, Holy Spirit, Yahweh, Prince of Peace, Lord of Lords, Son of God, Savior, Adonai, Jehovah, El Shaddai, Almighty…etc.” Then the more I realized how relaxing this really was, I would look up more names for God and their meanings…and what passages they are found in. Also, thinking about the characteristics of God really helps too. It helps me to put in perspective just how negative my stress and anxiety and thoughts really are, and just how God is everything OPOSITE of all of these and how He is always there to save me from them!

Reciting and memorizing scripture also goes along somewhat with the above. I cannot even begin to describe how much this helps…and just running to my bible itself instantaneously. After all, God is my creator. He KNOWS what I struggle with and He has promised to deliver me whenever I call on Him.

Listening to Christian music really helps as well. Music is just so emotional and when I find songs that really stick out to me and hold weight with me, I get the feeling that I am not alone in my struggle, and most of the time it just reminds me that God is in control.

Mainly, what helps most is me just getting the focus off of myself and what I struggle with and what worries and fears that I have, and just replacing all of it with God and who He is and how much He loves me and what He has promised me.

The following bible verses are just a few of the verses the bring comfort to me in these times:

When I worry

Matthew 6:25-34, “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
2 Timothy 1:7, “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”

Psalm 55:22, “Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.”

1 Peter 5:6-7, “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.”

When I feel anxious

Philippians 4:6-8, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy – meditate on these things.”

When I am afraid

Psalm 56:3-4, “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God (I will praise His word). In God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me?”

When I become angry/frustrated because of my obsessive thoughts…

Psalm 103:8, “The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in mercy.”

Psalm 21:23, “Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles.”

Psalm 29:22, “An angry man stirs up strife, And a furious man abounds in transgression.”

Proverbs 15:1, “A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.”

And last but definitely not least…I ALWAYS think of Ezekiel 36:26,27 and think about how, in God, I am new and He has conquered everything and He knows what I struggle with and He has made me new!: “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.”

As crazy as it may sound, I cannot help but be thankful that I am ABLE to have a struggle like this! I'll be honest and say that I have not always felt this way, because I used to just let it control so much of my days and it would just frustrate and exhaust me, but recently I have been able to see that through this, God’s glory and power and strength are demonstrated to me CONSTANTLY. I am able to see just how weak and helpless I am on my own without Him…and just when I feel that life in these times, is impossible, He is able to deliver me and show me just how much I need Him and everything that He does for me.

“…My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” – 2 Corinthians 12:9

So…if you are anything like me and struggle with anxiety in any form, large or small…I really hope that you are able to feel encouraged that you are not alone! And Christ cares about you…so much that He has provided you with someone else who is able to understand what you are going through…ME =] ! Haha…but really…I truly do hope that some of this stuff helps you and just know that I will be praying for you and your struggles!

“My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” – Psalm 73:26