Friday, August 23, 2013

"Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises of all shapes and sizes..."


I am not really sure why, but I always feel the need (or maybe it’s just a habit) to start my posts off by explaining where the thoughts of them originated from…

So, with that being said…

Last night as I was praying, an interesting thought came into my mind:

It is natural to have desires, right? But what about when we take it upon ourselves to go after those desires?

Obviously there is nothing wrong with that, if we are being led by God and He has compelled us to go after that desire, but what if it is something that is not meant for us?

I do this a lot. I see something that I want and then I go after it. But as I was contemplating this last night…the thread of my thoughts just kept getting deeper and deeper:

When I do this – when I go after something that I want that is not meant for me – I am creating myself out to be a thief.

I am robbing so many situations on so many levels.

I am robbing the person who this thing was initially intended for.

I am robbing myself by settling for something that was not meant for me, and possibly ruining or delaying the chances of me getting what really is intended for me.

And I am robbing God of the glory He would be receiving if only I had waited on Him and allowed Him to bring to me what He has for me in His perfect time.

This “thing” could be anything really. It could be a job, a title, a hobby, a relationship, or even a material thing.

For example: It could be a position at church. I absolutely love being a youth leader at church…but what if one day I decided I wanted to quit that and go help out in the nursery? I really think I would be awesome with the little tykes…but everyone feels differently because, if we’re being honest…holding a baby makes me as nervous and uncomfortable as swimming with sharks: One wrong move and someone is feelin’ the pain! But for some reason, that is what I want! No more deep theological discussions with teenage girls whose minds are like sponges, soaking up every piece of knowledge and wisdom they discover about our Creator…bring on baby slobber and snack time!

Okay…this is a poor example…because my heart is just not in the nursery…but that’s because I know that just isn’t where God wants me…but what if I just decided it was all of a sudden what I was going to go for?

I would be taking up a position in the nursery and ruining the chances of someone helping out there who would most likely be a much better fit than me! Someone who would know exactly what to do to get an infant to fall asleep or how to handle the thing when it just wont stop crying!

Not only that…I would be robbing the junior high and high school girls of being blessed by my charming, exquisite presence. Hah…kidding…but I would be robbing them of me being there for them. If I know that working with that age group is really where my heart is, then I know that Christ has put that desire there for a reason, and that is where He wants to use me! And if I ignored that, then I would be robbing those girls of learning a lesson that God may want to teach them through me! And not only that…I would be robbing myself of what God TRULY has for me, and I would be robbing God of receiving the glory from those girls and me, for using me!

That kind of got confusing in my head…but does it make sense?

With all that being said – God is going to accomplish His work regardless of my stupid, off-track decisions! If He wants a message to be delivered – He will make sure the intended recipient gets it, whether I am involved or not – but He WANTS me. THAT is the point.

1 Corinthians 12:17-19
“If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. And if they were all one member, where would the body be?”

(Remember…this was just an example of the type of thing I am talking about…I did not and have not…and possibly will not…EVER…have a desire to quit working with teenage girls and start helping out in the nursery…not saying I would not ever help out there if someone was needed…but…let’s just get it clear that NO ONE should ever think it is a good idea for me to help out with infants……………..EVER.)

So that was last nights’ realization

Then tonight as I was praying another interesting concept came into my mind:

God not only allows certain things to happen, but He ORDAINS things to happen as well…

I don’t want to want things that aren’t meant for me. And as long as I follow Christ and commit my ways to Him…He will make it very clear what is and is not for me. And even more so, He will bless me with what IS meant for me.

I want all of my fleshly and selfish desires to be removed from me…and I want them to be replaced with whatever God wants for me. Then I know that I could never go wrong! I will be living a life that glorifies Him no matter what.

I guess it was just a reminder that God has it all under control. And for someone as inconsistent and indecisive as me…NOTHING could possibly bring me greater peace than knowing that I am in God’s hands and He never lets go.

Proverbs 16:9, “The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.”