Monday, March 2, 2015

yolo


I’ve yet to become a fan of the whole “yolo” fad. I guess you could call me a prude when it comes to it. Until recently at least…

It’s not that I don’t like taking chances and having fun and “living in the moment”…trust me – I am a big fan of all of those things…when they are within the limits of clear-headedness and innocence of course…if that makes sense…

Today I got the news that a friend who I went to college with had passed away this last weekend. At the young age of 27, he left behind a beautiful wife and a precious baby boy.

When I hear about someone passing away at such a young age, it’s hard not to automatically consider it a tragedy…but I kind of feel like that might be belittling what God has for us…

So many things lately have been making me think about how short life really is. Our lives could be over at any moment. (Morbid as this is sounding…stick with me for a moment)

We never know when our time is up. Whenever someone passes away, my dad always mentions how “our days are numbered” and when I was younger, I never really thought too much about what it meant because – well, when you’re young – you’re gonna live forever!

My dad always says how there is nothing we can do – when it is our time to go – it’s our time to go! Even if we are in a different place at a different time…God will still find a way to call us home.

We do only live once.

I think it’s human nature to take information like that and allow it to cause fear and paranoia – creating the whole “you only live once so act crazy and do whatever makes you feel good!”

But how sweet is it to acknowledge and understand the fact that we do only have one life and to then take that life and dedicate it completely to God? Living a life, not full of selfish, emotional acts powered by fear, but a life full of selflessness – powered by the hope and trust that we have in Christ – knowing that no matter what – He always has the best for us. And He is the only One that can bring any sort of meaning to our little momentary life.

I am certain my college friend knew this.

He lived each day with the kindness and love of Christ. Though I didn’t know him extremely well – I did know that he shined inside and out with joy.

I want that to be my thing.

I want to live a life that illuminates Christ’s love and goodness. A life that, when it is over (and even when it is not), leaves those around me (whether they have known me for my whole life, or just passed me on the street) with a feeling of peace and hope – knowing that I have lived a life of worth and meaning and love. A life full of Christ. A life that was not wasted and fueled by fear and insecurities – but a life motivated by the grace of God.

How sweet is it to know that we do only have one life to live. And that one life is short. And that we are able to do whatever it is that we want with that one life. But to choose to live it completely for Christ?

It is a scary thought of course. Thinking about all of the things I want in life – and letting all of that go and holding onto the hope that God knows what is best for me – but if all of my desires were easy to let go – then my Reward wouldn’t be as sweet would it?

So my friend passing away is not a tragedy. The fact that he left behind a wife and child is heartbreaking, of course – but the life he left behind is a witness of his obedience to Christ – knowing that God, in all of His power and wonder, controls every moment of his life, and trusting that no matter what, He is good.