Friday, April 27, 2012

A piece of me...


If you thought some of my last posts were a mess…you might not want to make an attempt at this one…

There are two things I am currently struggling with. And twisting them together this way is all I can really do to get them both out at the moment... I know I’ve already used this phrase on a past post…but seriously…this time…good luck keeping up…

When you're a complete goofball - How do you make people respect you and take you seriously, without compromising yourself in the process, and staying true to who you really are.

Because of relationships that I have gotten myself into, I have let part of myself accept false truths.

The false truth that I have to be flawless for people to really love me.

I have to be perfectly poised and conducted 24/7.

When I make a mistake - I must be punished for it mentally, emotionally, and even physically at times - because it's what I deserve.

When other people make decisions that indirectly affect things - I have to take the punishment for that as well.

The false truth that I can't be my crazy, goofy self and be respected at the same time.

I have to be flawless

The false truth that no matter how people treat me, it's what I deserve.

I did something to deserve it.

I'll never be good enough.
  
And the false truth that I do not and will not ever deserve better.

I’ve been realizing that because of these false truths that I accepted from others, I have began creating more false truths for myself.

I was so torn down that when I finally got out – I decided I was going to be different.

I was going to change.

I was going to run from the person I was and the people I placed myself around and all of the unhealthy situations I had placed myself in.

And I was never going back.

New false truths:

I have to have all of the answers.

I always have to be happy – no matter what.

I have to be the one to make people laugh.

I have to be carefree and lighthearted no matter what.

No matter how I am feeling inside, I need to be the happy-go-lucky girl without a care in the world.

I have put up a wall. Not a wall that keeps me from loving other people.

But a wall that keeps me from letting others love me.

And I have learned to play it off so well…

Oh, so well.

Isn’t that what we all do?

We quickly learn our weaknesses and then we spend so much time and effort into making experts of ourselves.

We become connoisseurs at discovering the most cunning way of hiding our faults.

The masters of disguise.

My wall keeps me from completely being myself.

Not my goofy self – that is a tough one for me to hide…

But my serious self…or rather…my hurting self.

Lately I have been wondering if I use my happiness to cover up things. Of course I have SO much to be happy about and SO much to be thankful for. I could never exhaust how blessed I am.

But sometimes I wonder if I use my happiness as a mask…as…an escape method…?

A way to hide what is really going on in my heart.

It’s not a completely crazy thought…

But it was crazy to think that I myself could be doing this.

That is not me.

Or is it…

I base so much confidence in the fact that I try to be as genuine as I can be.

An open-book.

That’s how I would describe myself.

An open book about my past and the things I have gone through and the mistakes I have made.

You ask: I answer.

I spent so much time hiding who I really was and lying to myself and others about anything and everything.

When I ran from that – I swore I would never go back.

But experiences have a funny way of catching up with you.

I may be genuine and honest about everything I have done and gone through.

But what about my present emotions?

What about my present struggles?

Most of them I am completely open about – except for one.

My hurt.

I cannot and will not hurt. Or at least – that’s how I portray it to others.

My false truths have set me up to believe that no one cares about my hurts.

People would rather me be my “care-free” self, rather than have to care about what can really be going on with me.

They are menial and hold no value.

Why do we so often think better of others than we do ourselves?

If someone were to come to me with their hurts – I would instantly direct them to the love of Christ and the value that they have in Him.

But for myself, yes, I know I have extreme value in Christ.

But, why don’t I allow myself to value my hurt?

I like to think I value my past and what has brought me to where I am.

But anxiety pushes me to want to just “get over” the past.

But that is not how we are created.

I don’t think thinking about the past is a bad thing. I think what makes it bad is how we think about the past. Do we dwell on it?

Insecurities of both others and myself, have lead me to believe that my past makes me a horrible person, who deserves to be continually punished for it.

But the goodness of Christ teaches me that, yes, I need to recognize the horrible nature of my past, but it is not something that I need to be held down by anymore.

When I was discussing this all with my mom she said it simply: “Your head knows what is best for you, now your heart just needs to realize it as well.”

Yes, because of the grace of God, I know what is best for me. So why do I continue to struggle with the things that are not best for me?

I have made myself to want to be perfect.

I thought I was strong.

I took a 180 turn out of my bad situation and ran as fast as I could.

For what seemed like quite awhile - I didn’t look back.

Now the past keeps getting brought up in my mind. And it's difficult not to let it.

My insecurities and doubts about myself are surfacing in my mind and lingering in my thoughts. Plaguing my head with a rollercoaster-like of emotions.

Entertaining random thoughts and questions is a very dangerous thing. How long will those insecurities stay with me?

The mind is an incredible thing - just how complex it is.

It's more than common for random, spur-of-the-moment thoughts about my past to enter my mind. Most of these should not be entertained.

Side note:

In my Addictions class a few years ago, we learned that, for men, looking at an erotic image for just a few seconds can stay fresh in their mind for over a few years. (I don’t remember the exact numbers…but it definitely was a seconds to years ratio)

How sad is that.

A few seconds. Even if it’s just a mistake, or something that was stumbled upon.

What we let enter our minds and bodies can completely plague us.

Back on track:

I know this may seem completely off subject...but if this little piece of information is in fact true...then how toxic can it be to entertain some on those “spur-of-the-moment” thoughts…?

Perhaps I should clarify that my struggle has nothing to do with erotic images…but it definitely has to do with thoughts plaguing my mind. Thoughts that promptly enter my mind and should, alike, promptly find their way out.

This is not something I want to admit at all…

But I really do wish it wasn’t so hard for me to admit it.

I don’t like how it is becoming more and more difficult for me to admit it. I don’t want to be that person that hides from these things.

I would say it’s “funny” to talk to people about it now. People who knew me before the “incident”. But funny is definitely not appropriate.

It is very surreal.

And it is very sad.

They tell me I never looked happy.

I never laughed.

I never smiled.

I looked miserable and trapped.

I never looked to be myself.

I was a stranger to everyone around me. And I was definitely a stranger to myself.

And since I am myself again…you might be able to imagine why it is so hard for me to want to be anything but happy.

But because of Christ – I am freed from that.

Free to be myself.

Free to be thankful and free to be happy.

But also, free to be sad.

When do we learn that it’s not okay to cry?

For boys, I know most are taught at such a young age that “real men don’t cry”, which is really such a sad thing.

But when do girls learn that being emotional means you’re “crazy” and don’t deserve respect?

All of these are definitely false truths.

But when I am too “happy” I don’t feel respected by some either…

How do you read a present situation without being bias because of past situations?

Just like I hope for people to accept me as I am, despite their past experiences, I also need to accept others despite my past experiences.

Just because one person has a poor view of me when I am myself, doesn’t mean that everyone does.

It is strange how our past experiences affect our present views on situations…

You can’t pick and choose which pieces of a person you want…

So why does it seem like some people respect me more when I am serious and quiet?

Everyone needs an outlet. A place to go to be with something of their own.

Something that makes them feel like…them.

I have found that music is one of my forms of an outlet…

And no matter how goofy and crazy I can be – I still have feelings. I still have emotions. I still go through difficult times. I still have days where I feel more comfortable just being quiet and keeping to myself. And I still want to be respected.



“Crying may look like weakness to others – but sometimes it’s all we can do in order to get stronger.”

Psalm 55:22 – “Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.”