Saturday, April 14, 2012

Proceed with caution...


Before going any further – you need to know I am completely torn at the moment.

My mind is cluttered – going 100 miles a minute (as usual) and my heart is longing for a good journal session.

But then – It has been so long since I have blogged and I have so much to say!

These are dangerous times when I cannot choose – because I might possibly go into “journal” mode and write something that is meant for more personal eyes…

But meh – oh well!

So much going on lately!

So where to start….

My friends just got engaged!!!!!! I am SO excited for them!

I wanted to do something special for them so I decorated my back patio (where he proposed)…





I have been trying to help her with ideas for the wedding…but I’ll just be honest and say that thinking about ideas for a literal, going-to-happen wedding is A LOT harder than I thought!

I will admit that I am a normal girl and think about a wedding from time to time.

BUT I have NEVER been one of those girls that has just “waited” for that day growing up.

I never obsessed over a wedding. Of course I have thought about “possibilities” just like any other girl – but planning my fake wedding out on Pinterest is definitely NOT my cup of joe. (Which is super weird because I really am such a hopeless romantic...)

In fact, for the past few years (up until fairly recently) I didn’t even want anything to do with getting married.

But I have definitely gained a new respect for people who are getting married.

Before this, it seemed so easy to stumble upon ideas for weddings, but now that I am actually trying to help give her inspiration…it definitely is A LOT harder than I imagined.

Other things going on…

I’m going to Jamaica in May with some of my friends from California!!!

I am so excited!! I have a countdown on my phone (29 days)…

Then right after that (literally), I am going to Disneyland again!

Then June 1st, I am moving to Mesa and living with one of my best friends, Kristyna!!

So I have to move out and clean and re-paint my apartment…(so much going on in May!!)

And then one of my friends, Ryan (Kristyna’s cousin) just bought a house! So when that gets finished (they say it takes 3-4 months)…us three are going to live there!

Hmm something else….oh yes…my car…wait for it…broke…down………….again.

Haha…ugh. What a pain. It just likes attention.

But finally…my Dad gave me the “green light” to get a new car! Yes – I do still go to my parents for big decisions. I spent 23 ½ years going against what they tell me…and that never got me anywhere good…so FINALLY I have learned that yes…mommy and daddy know best…for the most part.

I guess I could have got one before, but it is just amazing having my family’s support in big decisions like that…

So that is VERY exciting!

I have been looking around and I think I know what I am getting…but we will just have to see!

I’m so thankful. For everyone and everything in my life.

My life is so exciting.

It’s crazy how just a few months ago I was posting about how I wanted to find adventure…and I’m finding more and more every day how my life IS an adventure!

Just so much going on…

It is kind of stressful to think about it all, but it’s impossible for me to forget that God already has it all planned out and He knows what is going to happen and how everything is going to get done so I totally don’t even need to stress over it.

You know on applications and in interviews when they ask you how you deal with stress?

Well I used to think I was a pro. Like “oh no, I don’t even get stressed!” WRONGO.

I’m just a ball of mess when I get stressed. And I am always at two different ends of the spectrum. First of all – I cry. A lot. (like I did the other night to my dad when my car broke down)

Then I either get really quiet (like at work) or I can’t stop complaining (to anyone and everyone who will listen)

Then…my hair falls out – literally – I know, attractive right?

But that’s how it is.

My mind goes 1,000,000 miles a minute thinking about everything that I have to do and want to do and everything that has to get done. And I just basically sit there. I think I work a lot better under pressure because I definitely procrastinate when I am stressed.

But since I know all of this about myself – I know how to handle myself. I know what I need and what helps, and I know how to calm myself down. (I just pray for the poor souls who don’t know how to handle me and have to be around me…)

So I have found that the following process is definitely best for me…

* Write things down – everything is always easier for me to think about when it is visible and on paper.

* Number things in the order of their importance and what needs to get done first. Even though I may not execute the tasks in this order, it still helps me prepare myself for what needs to get done and when they need to be done by.

* Take a moment to breathe. Everything will get done on time and whatever doesn’t, will still be there for me the next day. As long as I am doing my best, I cannot control what does and does not happen.

* Get started – things are not going to get done unless I actually DO them. Know what needs to get done today and do it…work hard, relax, play, have fun, and most of all…just enjoy life and be thankful for the time you have been given and the things God has blessed you with.

So this is basically how I am living lately.

I have A TON of stuff going on in the next 6 weeks:
Work
Buy a car
Jamaica
Disneyland
Make Arizona my new state of residency (though I’ll always be a Cali girl at heart…)
Sign up for my last two classes so I can finally get my degree
Move to Mesa
Re-paint this apartment and have my carpets cleaned
Manchester Orchestra concert
Two of my friend’s birthdays
And somehow remember to stay sane and have a social life…

I did get packing boxes though! Which I considered to be productive. But…I left them in my car…which broke down…so now it’s at Fletchers…so…yeah…

Anywho…what else…

Find some down time to relax…basically what I have been doing all day today…

I heard a song a few weeks ago talking about how it is hard to praise God when times are good…and this seemed like such a weird thing to me. I think I understand the message the artist was trying to portray, but I don’t think he was really saying it right…and for some reason, I have been thinking about it a lot off and on since then, and the following is the conclusion I have just come to today:

When things are going good, I think it is easier to praise God, but harder to find time to be with Him.

When things are going bad, I think it is harder to praise God, but easier to find time to be with Him.

I have been wanting to blog for a few days, but I haven’t really known specifically what about. And I think it is always easier to blog about things that I am going through, because it helps me relieve my stress and it is much easier for me to know what I am trying to say…

Things have been going very good lately.

So many times through out the day I just catch myself thinking about how blessed I truly am.

I am not sure how much I can say this without it becoming completely repetitive, but last year was probably one of the worst years of my life…and I’m only 23 so I am sure for older people they’d tell me to stick around a little longer and just see how hard life can really get…but for being 23, I feel I have experienced way too much more than a 23 year old should have to.

With that being said – I am extremely thankful for ALL of my experiences. Even the painful ones.

I think about where I am now and what is going on in my life and how amazing each and every one of my friends are…and I just can’t help but feel overwhelmed.

It is amazing when you find happiness in the unexpected times and places.

A few of my best friends I just met this time last year, they just started off as co-workers, and then before I knew it, I completely fell in love with them! (In a very non-romantic way of course)

Now this year, I am moving in with them…

You know when so many good things are happening that you are just waiting for the brick to fall on your head?

Is that even how the expression goes???

You know what I mean…

I keep waiting for it…

But then the thoughts keep coming into my head:

You had a really hard year last year, you deserve to be happy – after having no one, you deserve these amazing friends – after being held down, you deserve fun vacations – after 7 years of an unreliable car, you deserve a new reliable one…

But then…if I got what I really, TRULY deserved…I would be in Hell. Literally. Homeless, Friendless, Familyless, and most of all…Fatherless.

God does not give us what we truly deserve.

Hence – Grace…Mercy…

He gives us what He wants us to deserve – Salvation. Love. Hope. Peace. Joy. A Home. His Son. Himself.

But then again…if we did deserve all of that…we wouldn’t really need Christ now would we…

How difficult is it to remind myself that good works are NOT going to get me closer to Christ?

This is such a difficult thing for me to remind myself of.

No matter how “good” I am – that is not what gets me to Christ.

Christ gets me to Christ – and seeking Him, no matter what state I am in, is how I find Him. And finding Him, at my lowest or highest, is how I am with Him.

I know in my down time I need to just take some of that time to just be with Him. And it’s so easy for me to just praise Him and thank Him for everything in my life. But it is hard for me to make the time to just be with Him. Why is that?

I don’t want it to be that way. Why are bad habits hard to kick and good habits hard to start?

But I want it to be more than a habit. I want seeking God to be conscious and unconscious, purposely and by chance, habitual and spontaneous…like breathing…I know it can be hard at times for a reason…I am just thankful that no matter what – God always wants me to seek Him.

A little inspiration...

“…Because of Calvary, I’m free to choose. And so I choose.

I choose love . . .

No occasion justifies hatred; no injustice warrants bitterness. I choose love. Today I will love God and what God loves.

I choose joy . . .

I will invite my God to be the God of circumstance. I will refuse the temptation to be cynical . . . the tool of the lazy thinker. I will refuse to see people as anything less than human beings, created by God. I will refuse to see any problem as anything less than an opportunity to see God.

I choose peace . . .

I will live forgiven. I will forgive so that I may live.



I choose patience . . .

I will overlook the inconveniences of the world. Instead of cursing the one who takes my place, I’ll invite him to do so. Rather than complain that the wait is too long, I will thank God for a moment to pray. Instead of clinching my fist at new assignments, I will face them with joy and courage.

I choose kindness . . .

I will be kind to the poor, for they are alone. Kind to the rich, for they are afraid. And kind to the unkind, for such is how God has treated me.

I choose goodness . . .

I will go without a dollar before I take a dishonest one. I will be overlooked before I will boast. I will confess before I will accuse. I choose goodness.

I choose faithfulness . . .

Today I will keep my promises. My debtors will not regret their trust. My associates will not question my word. My wife will not question my love. And my children will never fear that their father will not come home.

I choose gentleness . . .

Nothing is won by force. I choose to be gentle. If I raise my voice may it be only in praise. If I clench my fist, may it be only in prayer. If I make a demand, may it be only of myself.

I choose self-control . . .

I am a spiritual being. After this body is dead, my spirit will soar. I refuse to let what will rot, rule the eternal. I choose self-control. I will be drunk only by joy. I will be impassioned only by my faith. I will be influenced only by God. I will be taught only by Christ. I choose self-control.


Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. To these I commit my day. If I succeed, I will give thanks. If I fail, I will seek his grace. And then, when this day is done, I will place my head on my pillow and rest.”

-Max Lucado
When God Whispers Your Name