Wednesday, April 25, 2012

This season...


Sometimes I don’t feel motivated.

It’s not that I am being completely lazy…

I just…have a lot on my mind lately…

Today’s devotional was perfect for me.

I feel like they are always relevant to something that I am going through…

“Ready in Season”

Be ready in season and out of season —2 Timothy 4:2

Many of us suffer from the unbalanced tendency to “be ready” only “out of season.” The season does not refer to time; it refers to us. This verse says, “Preach the Word! Be ready in season and out of season.” In other words, we should “be ready” whether we feel like it or not. If we do only what we feel inclined to do, some of us would never do anything. There are some people who are totally unemployable in the spiritual realm. They are spiritually feeble and weak, and they refuse to do anything unless they are supernaturally inspired. The proof that our relationship is right with God is that we do our best whether we feel inspired or not.
One of the worst traps a Christian worker can fall into is to become obsessed with his own exceptional moments of inspiration. When the Spirit of God gives you a time of inspiration and insight, you tend to say, “Now that I’ve experienced this moment, I will always be like this for God.” No, you will not, and God will make sure of that. Those times are entirely the gift of God. You cannot give them to yourself when you choose. If you say you will only be at your best for God, as during those exceptional times, you actually become an intolerable burden on Him. You will never do anything unless God keeps you consciously aware of His inspiration to you at all times. If you make a god out of your best moments, you will find that God will fade out of your life, never to return until you are obedient in the work He has placed closest to you, and until you have learned not to be obsessed with those exceptional moments He has given you.

(Copied from utmost.org)

I’m just not focused lately. There is just so much going on that it is hard for me to keep my mind on just one thing.

And then when I am alone and do have time to clear my mind – I really don’t want to be alone with my thoughts.

I’m getting frustrated with myself for struggling with some of the same things over and over again…

And then I realized a few things –
There are things in my life that I am “settling” for.
When God removes something unhealthy from my life – It is NO LOSS to me.
I’m created to feel – so it is OKAY to let myself feel more than I want to at times.
I am created to invest time and emotions into relationships – so when those relationships are removed from my life, it is OKAY to take time to mourn over them.
I can’t be hard on myself for struggling with certain things – If I never struggled – I would never grow.
HE has made me new.

In one of my favorite books, Beyond Jabez, the author, Bruce Wilkinson, talks about how if we don’t struggle with things then it may, at times, mean that Satan is not “worried” about us. He used an example of a college student talking to one of his professors and telling him that his life was great and everything was going right and the professor told the student he was worried about him because that probably means Satan isn’t worried about the student and his work for Christ. (obviously that was more of a paraphrase of what the author actually said…)

But this story always stuck in my mind.

But then – one of my devotionals from a few weeks ago hit me –

“Never be afraid when God brings back your past. Let your memory have its way with you. It is a minister of God bringing its rebuke and sorrow to you. God will turn what might have been into a wonderful lesson of growth for the future.” – My Utmost For His Highest

I’ve been hurting a lot from the past lately. And I’ve been really upset at myself about it.

Not wanting to admit my struggles, I have been keeping them all in to myself –

But after reading this devotional – I was filled with comfort.

Yeah, I am struggling. But I am not alone. God is letting me struggle with it for a reason – and maybe that reason is to take it to Him.

Shame.

I’m ashamed that I am still struggling with the same thing – the same situation.

I know I am MUCH better off now – and God has given me an amazing peace that I have never known before.

It always blows my mind to think about Christ’s mercy and love.

God is good to me. Even though he knows everything that I have done.

But I think the thing that blows my mind even more than that, is that God is good to me….Even when he knows what I WILL do.

I think it is one thing to forgive someone for their past and to love them and accept them and provide for them despite what they have done…

But to love and accept and provide for someone who you know has already hurt you and will undoubtedly hurt you again.

Or to take it even further – He knows the exact minute of the day, which I will betray Him again.

Being stuck in my sinful body – it is a fact that I will sin again. And He knows how and when.

It is incredible to me.

I know He loves me.

And I know that that is all that really matters.