Sunday, June 5, 2016

An unheroic heart


Most of my life was spent wanting to save other people. The ones who were hurt and lost and broken. The ones who were emotionally unhealthy and unavailable. After years and years of learning that I couldn't do that, I then just wanted to save myself. 

I became cold and distant and I wanted to protect myself from anyone and anything that could potentially hurt me, so I turned off my emotions and hid away who I really was. 

After finally realizing that I couldn't do that either, there was only one thing left for me to admit.

God is the only One who can save me and anyone else for that matter.

But I still have skewed vision sometimes...thinking that God is still in the process of "saving" me...when in fact, He already has. He's done saving me. It's finished.

Now it's my turn to respond to that and live in a way that shows the confidence that comes from knowing this incredible truth.

There are still things that I need to ask God for every day, yes. But to live in a way that exhibits insecurity and lack of confidence in my Saviors power and authority over my life - that, also, needs to be finished.

I'm not the Savior of the story. And I'm so thankful for that.